Tuesday, June 2, 2009

My Garden


My Garden, originally uploaded by inspir8tion.

These are the first veggie seeds seeds I am attempting to germinate and plant in my new garden. I have had a garden for a few weeks now, or I should say that for a few weeks now I've had space in my yard for a garden.
I moved in my new place April 15th and my favorite thing about it is the layout of the backyard. There were tons of barren beds begging to be planted.
I have always loved to grow things, but until recently I have only grown flowers. They seemed so much simpler and easy to replace if I killed them. Lately however, I have been consciously trying to change my lifestyle to a greener, more sustainable one. I love the idea of living this way in the city. I imagine it's like a mini version of the acres of land I sometimes fantasize of owning.
Of course, my impractical daydreams didn't include bug bites, back pain, sunburns, and sweat but that's not what daydreams are for, is it? The beds I inherited are dusty, cement-like Arizona caliche clay and are full of rocks that try to pass for boulders. In order to grow anything at all I've had to break up the hard ground, remove the rocks and mix the dirt with composted mulch. This task has taken me about three hours per 3 cubic feet. I get up at 5:30 am and work until it's too hot at around 9:30 am. I commit myself to this preparation about 3 times a week and I'm out weeding, watering and generally tinkering twice every day. Needless to say, this project has made gardening a pretty big piece of my life these days so I've decided to document it.
Here we are at the beginning. Some of my beds are finished. Some I haven't even touched yet. I have planted these seeds in a little greenhouse type planter in my living room to be transplanted in a couple of weeks. In the beds I have already prepared I have planted zucchini, yellow squash, bell peppers, eggplant, acorn squash, watermelon, cantelope, cucumber, basil, and parsley. I also sprouted soybeans and planted them in pots.
Wish me luck!


No comments:

Post a Comment